Envisioning a 3R Policing Strategy:
Reimagine ~ Reinvest ~ Rebuild
~ NYPD: America’s Finest and Most Trusted Police Department ~
II. Strategic Objectives:
1) Protect life and the overall safety, security, and constitutional rights of all citizens;
2) Promote procedural justice by enforcing the law fairly, impartially, and equitably;
3) Prevent theft, destruction and/or vandalism of public and private property;
4) Preempt conflict by continuously engaging communities to solve problems;
5) Project legitimacy and trust with two-way respect, accountability, transparency.
This framework to Reimagine, Reinvest and Rebuild policing in NYC operates under the following assumptions:
- Systemic failures in the criminal justice system reflect other systematic failures in equality, wealth, and opportunity in society overall.
- Politicians in NYC have failed to create the conditions of sustained growth, opportunity, and economic improvement across all socio-economic groups.
- Police have been expected to deliver a myriad of non-law enforcement services to people experiencing homelessness, addiction, and mental health crisis, etc., as well as address many quality of life crimes.
- We cannot arrest our way out of these societal problems, or minor quality of life crimes, but instead, we must begin to address the underlying conditions and manifestations of crime.
- NYC must marshal resources across all of NYC government, as well as our federal, non-profit and private sector partners to address these social problems and reduce quality of life
- The process of reimagining how we deliver police services in NYC must build upon the existing foundation of NHPD knowledge, training, technology, innovation, and leadership.
- Policing is an honorable profession that we must continue to support by reinvesting in human capital and rebuilding relationships with all NYC communities through transparency, accountability, and continuous engagement.
- Most police are consummate professionals who take pride in protecting all citizens, solving problems, upholding public safety, and enforcing law and order.
- Policing is an honorable profession that we must continue to support by reinvesting in it with transparency, accountability, and community engagement.
- To advance procedural justice in the communities we serve, we must also advance procedural justice practices and officer wellness within the NYPD.
- Despite its many challenges, NYPD has been a pioneer in using some of the most current and progressive strategies to improve the delivery of police service.
- The continued process to improve policing in NYC must build upon the existing foundation of NYPD knowledge, training, technology, innovation, and leadership.
- Earning two-way trust between police and the communities we serve must not be politically driven but instead be candid, inclusive, respectful and evidence based.
- We must not respond to current conditions with hasty reforms or defunding, but instead reimagine, reinvest, and rebuild NYPD by carefully examining the issues.
- Together, we can, and we will use the 3R Framework to ensure the NYPD is not only the finest, but the most trusted police department in all of America.
IV. 3R Framework:
- Reimagine — how we deliver police services; by identifying key values and key issues, leveraging best practices, and using ethical and evidence-based decision making to create positive change. Coming up with ideas is important, but progress too often stops here. We must embed this new framework into NYPD culture.
- Reinvest — in human capital; the engine that is vital to identify, grow and sustain desired outcomes. Using innovative and adaptive strategies, we must value diversity, recruit, develop, and retain 21st Century police force, lead and increase accountability at all levels, double down on officer wellness, elevate training and leverage technology to ensure continued progress.
- Rebuild — relationships with all stakeholders; by fostering transparent, wholistic, cross functional and community-based strategies with all of NYC government, our federal partners, non-profit, and private industry to solve complex public safety problems and deliver precision police services.
V. NYPD Core Values:
- Courtesy – Display polite and positive attitude and behavior toward the public, NYPD colleagues, NYC government employees, businesses, and all community stakeholders.Strive Always to Show Empathy and Compassion
- Advance Procedural Justice Practices
- Promote Fairness, Impartiality, and Equality
- Professionalism – Represent yourself, the NYPD, and NYC with pride and competence.
- Lead at all Levels of the Organization
- Insure Officer Wellness and Accountability
- Elevate Training and Technology for 21st Century Challenges
- Respect – Demonstrate due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, and traditions of others inside the NYPD, NYC government and in the communities we serve.
- Advance Community Interests Through Active Engagement
- Increase Transparency to Build Trust
- Value and Leverage the Power of Diversity